Every time you dry your clothes, excess heat and moisture is safely carried away by the dryer vent. This air duct connects to the rest of your home’s ventilation or to an exterior wall. As long as the dryer vent is securely attached and clean, it will ensure the dryer’s heat and humidity stays out of your home. But every now and then, the dryer vent may not function correctly.
Most of the time this is because dirt and lint have accumulated somewhere. This produces a clog, which restricts airflow in the dryer vent. Unless the dryer vent is cleaned, this clog may continue to get worse. Not only can it make cleaning your clothes more tedious, but severe clogs can be a fire hazard. When you have to use more time and energy to dry your clothes, it can increase your monthly bills. Taking care of a potential clog right away will keep these costs from rising.
When you need dryer vent cleaning in Omaha, A-1 United Heating, Air & Electrical recommends Maxim Cleaning and Restoration. They’ll make sure your dryer vent is clear and free of all debris. Here are six signs your dryer vent may need professional cleaning.
Six Signs You Should Clean Your Dryer Vent
As you can imagine, most of these signs have something to do with your dryer. Many newer models often come with helpful safety features. These features can detect evidence of a clog or other problem and turn the dryer off before something happens. But regardless of the model of your dryer, it’s smart to keep an eye out for the following signs:
- Your clothes take longer to dry: For the most part, clothes only need one drying cycle before you can fold them and put them away. If the load of clothes needs two or more drying cycles, there could be something keeping damp air from leaving the dryer.
- The room and clothes are warmer than usual: All dryers will give off a little heat when they’re running. But if the room and your dry clothes are unusually warm, it’s often a sign the heat isn’t making it into the dryer vent.
- You smell something burning: As lint and other debris dries out inside the dryer vent, you may detect a burning odor. Large lint clogs can be a fire hazard, so don’t hesitate to call a professional when your dryer smells like something is burning.
- The lint trap is overflowing or won’t open: One of the more visible signs of a dirty dryer vent is an overflowing lint trap. It should be emptied regularly to minimize how much lint gets into the dryer vent. And if the trap won’t open, you may be unable to clean it out properly.
- The dryer malfunctions or shuts off: new dryers will sometimes have features to detect problems. They may shut off the dryer before it gets too hot, alerting you that something is keeping the warm air from escaping.
- You haven’t cleaned it in over a year: Even if you diligently clean out the lint trap, an annual cleaning is always a good idea. If you’re overdue for professional vent cleaning, your dryer vent may be clogged without you even knowing.
Schedule Your Dryer Vent Cleaning in Omaha with Maxim Cleaning and Restoration
Our partner company Maxim Cleaning and Restoration offers fast and thorough dryer vent cleaning in Omaha. The HVAC pros at A-1 United are happy to recommend their effective, affordable services. They’ll make sure everything is safe and well-ventilated. To schedule a cleaning, give them a call at 402-697-9004.